ZONE 1

ZONE 2

Phim Bộ

Phim Lẻ

Ca Nhạc

Breaking

Go Back   VietBF > USA NEWS > USA News in English

Old  Default I took chloroquine. This is what it did to me
Chloroquine, a similar drug to hydroxychloroquine, has some uncomfortable side effects, as one reporter found out

US President Donald Trump was, in his typical fashion, blunt at a press briefing on Monday.

He rather proudly told everyone assembled that he was taking a drug, untested for COVID-19, called hydroxychloroquine.

"I've been taking it for the last week and a half. A pill every day," the president said.

This, despite his own government's Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issuing warnings about the medication.

When I read Trump's comments I was alarmed. That is because my own experience with a similar anti-malarial drug, chloroquine, was ... not good.

Doctor's Note: Hydroxychloroquine - will it cure you or kill you?
The year was 2001. I was due to fly to Morocco to do a story on prisoners and human rights violations. I had a couple of weeks to prepare and, as is standard practice, I visited my GP to get a check up and find out if there were any vaccinations I might need.

As she peered over her reading glasses at me, she opened up a book that she seemed to treat as gospel.

My doctor then decided I needed anti-malarial treatment. Since she was a health professional recommended by several of my then-colleagues who travelled regularly, I was happy to follow her advice.

After a few moments' pause, she settled on chloroquine.

Chloroquine is the drug from which hydroxychloroquine is derived. They both work in a similar way to treat disease, but hydroxychloroquine has additional molecules added to it, which make it safer to use to minimise the side effects. Both drugs, however, should only be taken on the advice of a trained medical professional as they both have the potential to cause serious harm if not taken under supervision.

My doctor instructed me to take a tablet once a week, every week for two weeks, before entering a malarial zone, and then for eight weeks after.

I was alarmed at the sheer amount of time commitment the drug required, but I thought it was better to be safe than sorry.

Like hydroxychloroquine, chloroquine is an anti-malarial. In 2001 the internet was not as easily available as it is today, and any further research into it needed a library. So I was happy to trust my doctor.

If any side effects make you uncomfortable stop taking it, were her last words to me before I left her consultation room that day. I picked up my prescription from the chemist. I popped my pill.

That, I thought, was that.

It was not.

Within a few hours, I was suffering from nausea and itching. At this stage, I thought it would pass. But the symptoms remained sporadic and would flare up throughout the next couple of weeks.

After I left Morocco, I kept taking the drug as prescribed. Things went further downhill.

I began to suffer from depression and wild dreams. I spoke to others who had taken similar anti-malarial drugs and they described much the same symptoms. In the end, things got so bad with the side effects that I went back to my doctor who recommended I stop taking it.

READ MORE
Doctor's Note: Can chloroquine and other drugs treat coronavirus?
Clearly, this was my personal experience with the drug, and I may have had specific underlying conditions that contributed to the effect it had on me.

But over the years I have spoken to several travelling reporters about their experiences with anti-malarial drugs like chloroquine. No one seems to have had a great experience. Like many others, I simply do not take them any more, even for the disease they are specifically prescribed for.

When travelling to malaria-prone places, I opt instead for preventative measures to stop me from getting bitten in the first place. (In case you are wondering, my very general advice is: Use Deet spray at dawn and dusk when mosquitos are most active, wear long sleeves, long trousers and avoid stagnant pools of water.)

We are going to be hearing a lot about chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine in the coming weeks. Both are being trialled to determine whether they could be effective in preventing COVID-19.

But until we learn more from those trials, a world leader publicising drugs untested for COVID-19 seems irresponsible - something many doctors agree with.

But the president has made up his mind. He has become a clinical trial all of his own.

Meanwhile, real clinical trials to test the drugs continue.

"These medicines are being used in the context of the ongoing pandemic for treating patients with COVID-19 and investigated in clinical trials," the European Medicines Agency, the EU's equivalent of the FDA, said. "However, clinical data are still very limited and inconclusive and the beneficial effects of these medicines in COVID-19 have not been demonstrated."

My own experience with chloroquine was hideous, but that was my experience. I will be watching the trials closely. Let us see what science will discover.

tctd
R8 Võ Lâm Chí Tôn
Release: 05-23-2020

Profile:
Last Update: None Rating: None
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	06a1fe3b356f413bb7e3ecb4c319568b_18.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1586890  
tctd_is_offline
Thanked 21,145 Times in 9,661 Posts
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4909 Post(s)
Rep Power: 37 tctd Reputation Uy Tín Level 9tctd Reputation Uy Tín Level 9tctd Reputation Uy Tín Level 9tctd Reputation Uy Tín Level 9tctd Reputation Uy Tín Level 9
tctd Reputation Uy Tín Level 9tctd Reputation Uy Tín Level 9tctd Reputation Uy Tín Level 9tctd Reputation Uy Tín Level 9tctd Reputation Uy Tín Level 9tctd Reputation Uy Tín Level 9tctd Reputation Uy Tín Level 9tctd Reputation Uy Tín Level 9tctd Reputation Uy Tín Level 9tctd Reputation Uy Tín Level 9tctd Reputation Uy Tín Level 9tctd Reputation Uy Tín Level 9
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tctd For This Useful Post:
botbeo (05-23-2020), cha12 ba (05-23-2020), laughster (05-23-2020)
Old 05-23-2020   #2
tctd
R8 Võ Lâm Chí Tôn

tctd Reputation Uy Tín Level 9tctd Reputation Uy Tín Level 9tctd Reputation Uy Tín Level 9tctd Reputation Uy Tín Level 9tctd Reputation Uy Tín Level 9
tctd Reputation Uy Tín Level 9tctd Reputation Uy Tín Level 9tctd Reputation Uy Tín Level 9tctd Reputation Uy Tín Level 9tctd Reputation Uy Tín Level 9tctd Reputation Uy Tín Level 9tctd Reputation Uy Tín Level 9tctd Reputation Uy Tín Level 9tctd Reputation Uy Tín Level 9tctd Reputation Uy Tín Level 9tctd Reputation Uy Tín Level 9tctd Reputation Uy Tín Level 9

đọc bài này thì thấy tội nghiệp cho lão quá .. uống một viên thuốc sốt rét thật không dể chút nào .. trong bài có nói bác sĩ chỉ cho một tuần uống một viên thôi và uống cách một tuần mới uống tiếp viên kế . ông này chỉ uống tới viên thứ 2 là chịu hết nỗi rồi . mà lão tuyên bố mỗi ngày uống một viên .. rồi lão uống đuợc 10 ngày .. đúng lão là nguời của cỏi trên chứ không phải thuờng đâu .. hahah
tctd_is_offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tctd For This Useful Post:
canhdieubay (05-23-2020), cha12 ba (05-23-2020), laughster (05-23-2020), qqquaker (05-24-2020)
Old 05-23-2020   #3
cha12 ba
R9 Tuyệt Đỉnh Tôn Sư

Thanked 56,785 Times in 24,152 Posts
Mentioned: 430 Post(s)
Quoted: 10758 Post(s)
cha12 ba Reputation Uy Tín Level 11cha12 ba Reputation Uy Tín Level 11cha12 ba Reputation Uy Tín Level 11cha12 ba Reputation Uy Tín Level 11cha12 ba Reputation Uy Tín Level 11
cha12 ba Reputation Uy Tín Level 11cha12 ba Reputation Uy Tín Level 11cha12 ba Reputation Uy Tín Level 11cha12 ba Reputation Uy Tín Level 11cha12 ba Reputation Uy Tín Level 11cha12 ba Reputation Uy Tín Level 11cha12 ba Reputation Uy Tín Level 11cha12 ba Reputation Uy Tín Level 11cha12 ba Reputation Uy Tín Level 11cha12 ba Reputation Uy Tín Level 11cha12 ba Reputation Uy Tín Level 11cha12 ba Reputation Uy Tín Level 11cha12 ba Reputation Uy Tín Level 11cha12 ba Reputation Uy Tín Level 11cha12 ba Reputation Uy Tín Level 11cha12 ba Reputation Uy Tín Level 11cha12 ba Reputation Uy Tín Level 11cha12 ba Reputation Uy Tín Level 11cha12 ba Reputation Uy Tín Level 11cha12 ba Reputation Uy Tín Level 11cha12 ba Reputation Uy Tín Level 11cha12 ba Reputation Uy Tín Level 11cha12 ba Reputation Uy Tín Level 11cha12 ba Reputation Uy Tín Level 11

More cartoons:

https://www.usnews.com/cartoons/donald-trump
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01a.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	1586899  
cha12 ba_is_offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cha12 ba For This Useful Post:
botbeo (05-23-2020), laughster (05-23-2020), tctd (05-23-2020)
Old 05-23-2020   #4
koorlie
R8 Võ Lâm Chí Tôn

Thanked 7,706 Times in 4,030 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2159 Post(s)
koorlie Reputation Uy Tín Level 8koorlie Reputation Uy Tín Level 8koorlie Reputation Uy Tín Level 8koorlie Reputation Uy Tín Level 8
koorlie Reputation Uy Tín Level 8koorlie Reputation Uy Tín Level 8koorlie Reputation Uy Tín Level 8koorlie Reputation Uy Tín Level 8koorlie Reputation Uy Tín Level 8koorlie Reputation Uy Tín Level 8koorlie Reputation Uy Tín Level 8koorlie Reputation Uy Tín Level 8koorlie Reputation Uy Tín Level 8koorlie Reputation Uy Tín Level 8koorlie Reputation Uy Tín Level 8koorlie Reputation Uy Tín Level 8koorlie Reputation Uy Tín Level 8koorlie Reputation Uy Tín Level 8koorlie Reputation Uy Tín Level 8koorlie Reputation Uy Tín Level 8koorlie Reputation Uy Tín Level 8koorlie Reputation Uy Tín Level 8koorlie Reputation Uy Tín Level 8koorlie Reputation Uy Tín Level 8koorlie Reputation Uy Tín Level 8koorlie Reputation Uy Tín Level 8koorlie Reputation Uy Tín Level 8

Bác Trump mà chịu uống thuốc sốt rét là tốt, không hiểu sao lại ngưng.

Bác nói ra một câu, khoảng nửa tiếng sau flip nói ngược lại.

Thuốc này trị cái bệnh: Lên cơn sốt, nửa tiếng sau flip đổi ngược lại lên cơn rét.
koorlie_is_offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to koorlie For This Useful Post:
cha12 ba (05-23-2020), laughster (05-23-2020), tctd (05-23-2020)
Old 05-23-2020   #5
tctd
R8 Võ Lâm Chí Tôn

tctd Reputation Uy Tín Level 9tctd Reputation Uy Tín Level 9tctd Reputation Uy Tín Level 9tctd Reputation Uy Tín Level 9tctd Reputation Uy Tín Level 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by koorlie View Post
Bác Trump mà chịu uống thuốc sốt rét là tốt, không hiểu sao lại ngưng.

Bác nói ra một câu, khoảng nửa tiếng sau flip nói ngược lại.

Thuốc này trị cái bệnh: Lên cơn sốt, nửa tiếng sau flip đổi ngược lại lên cơn rét.
The Following User Says Thank You to tctd For This Useful Post:
cha12 ba (05-23-2020)
Old 05-23-2020   #6
Boyangel
R2 Kiếm Khách

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Boyangel Reputation Uy Tín Level 1Boyangel Reputation Uy Tín Level 1

thuoc nao ma chang co "Side effect" . tuy theo co dia cua con nguoi manh hay nhe. Thi vay
Boyangel_is_offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boyangel For This Useful Post:
cha12 ba (05-23-2020)
Old 05-23-2020   #7
tctd
R8 Võ Lâm Chí Tôn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyangel View Post
thuoc nao ma chang co "Side effect" . tuy theo co dia cua con nguoi manh hay nhe. Thi vay
thì cứ mua về uống tự nhiên đâu ai cấm
The Following User Says Thank You to tctd For This Useful Post:
cha12 ba (05-23-2020)

User Tag List

Facebook Comments

iPad Tablet Menu

HOME

Breaking News

Society News

VietOversea

World News

Business News

Other News

History

Car News

Computer News

Game News

USA News

Mobile News

Music News

Movies News

Sport News

ZONE 1

ZONE 2

Phim Bộ

Phim Lẻ

Ca Nhạc

Thơ Ca

Help Me

Sport Live

Stranger Stories

Comedy Stories

Cooking Chat

Nice Pictures

Fashion

School

Travelling

Funny Videos

NEWS 24h

HOT 3 Days

NEWS 3 Days

HOT 7 Days

NEWS 7 Days

HOT 30 Days

NEWS 30 Days

Member News

Tin Sôi Nổi Nhất 24h Qua

Tin Sôi Nổi Nhất 3 Ngày Qua

Tin Sôi Nổi Nhất 7 Ngày Qua

Tin Sôi Nổi Nhất 14 Ngày Qua

Tin Sôi Nổi Nhất 30 Ngày Qua
Diễn Đàn Người Việt Hải Ngoại. Tự do ngôn luận, an toàn và uy tín. Vì một tương lai tươi đẹp cho các thế hệ Việt Nam hãy ghé thăm chúng tôi, hãy tâm sự với chúng tôi mỗi ngày, mỗi giờ và mỗi giây phút có thể. VietBF.Com Xin cám ơn các bạn, chúc tất cả các bạn vui vẻ và gặp nhiều may mắn.
Welcome to Vietnamese American Community, Vietnamese European, Canadian, Australian Forum, Vietnamese Overseas Forum. Freedom of speech, safety and prestige. For a beautiful future for Vietnamese generations, please visit us, talk to us every day, every hour and every moment possible. VietBF.Com Thank you all and good luck.